Tamworth, Gwydir to access bushfire assistance

14 Nov 2019

Disaster assistance has been made available for another 18 council areas to help those worst-hit by the NSW bushfires, including a further two in the New England - Tamworth Regional Council and Gwydir Shire Council.


Assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).


In the New England, this assistance is now available for the Glen Innes Severn, Armidale, Inverell, Tenterfield, Uralla, Walcha, Gwydir and Tamworth local government areas.


Assistance measures available under the DRFA may include:

  • help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged;
  • support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets;
  • concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations;
  • freight subsidies for primary producers; and,
  • grants to eligible non-profit organisations.


Additionally, the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) - $1000 for eligible adults and $400 for eligible children – is also available for people in the Glen Innes, Walcha, Tenterfield and Armidale areas.


Member for New England, Barnaby Joyce, said the Government was continuing to make as many resources available as possible.


“Thousands of us are in a highly stressful situation - I’m fighting a live fire front threatening my childhood home,” Mr Joyce said.


“These are challenging times but this assistance, which we are continuing to roll out, at least provides some relief for people impacted by bushfire around the New England.”


For information on personal hardship and distress assistance, contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444. To apply for a concessional loan, grant or freight subsidy, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 or visit www.raa.nsw.gov.au


Further information on disaster assistance is available on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at www.disasterassist.gov.au and the NSW emergency information and response website at www.emergency.nsw.gov.au



Send an Enquiry