$1000 payments available for New England fire victims

17 Oct 2019

In recognition of the severity of bushfires across northern parts of the New England, people in Tenterfield and Armidale can access one-off disaster payments up to $1000 from the Australian Government.


Member for New England, Barnaby Joyce, said the non-means tested Disaster Recovery Payments enables assistance of $1000 to eligible adults in designated areas and $400 for eligible children.


“This payment is above and beyond what is normally delivered under standard disaster assistance but something I considered our region was genuinely in need of,” Mr Joyce said.


“Given our electorate has been one of the hardest hit by these bushfires – the township of Tenterfield has been threatened by fire on at least three occasions in a matter of weeks – I have been advocating strongly to have this assistance delivered. 


“Subsequent fires across the New England, particularly around Drake and Ebor, have inflicted further misery on already desperate landholders suffering from drought which is why we’re increasing the assistance available in recognition the effects of this bushfire disaster are far-reaching.” 


Minister for Natural Disaster and Emergency Management David Littleproud said the fires have had a devastating impact and these payments will go to those who have been hit hardest.


“The fires have destroyed homes, cut essential services, affected local business and taken lives,” Minister Littleproud said.


“Eligible people include those who have lost an immediate family member, their home or have been badly injured.


“This payment is on top of the jointly funded Disaster Recovery Allowance.


“We’re committed to stand shoulder to shoulder with the community as it recovers from the fires.”


Payments are available to eligible residents in the Armidale, Clarence Valley, Richmond Valley, Tenterfield, Noosa, Scenic Rim, Southern Downs and Sunshine Coast local government areas.


For more information, people can call DHS on 180 22 66, visit humanservices.gov.au/disaster or go to a DHS Service Centre. More information on Australian Government disaster assistance can be found at disasterassist.gov.au



Send an Enquiry