The Coalition Government will provide a funding injection for 16 community groups and organisations in the New England to support the work of local volunteers.
Member for New England, Barnaby Joyce, said the grants will support the work of many volunteer groups in the electorate including rural fire services, community transport, meals on wheels and sports clubs.
“While the work of our volunteers may be unpaid, it is not unrecognised,” Mr Joyce said.
“From fighting bushfires, delivering food to vulnerable Australians in isolation and helping out with the weekend sport, they are all local champions.
“Their contribution is vital to ensuring that we continue to support families, provide employment pathways for young people and strengthen community resilience.”
Mr Joyce said the funding injection coincides with National Volunteer Week being celebrated this week.
“It’s vital we acknowledge the important contribution of our local volunteers in the New England,” he said.
Minister for Families and Social Services Anne Ruston said the funding would go a long way to support organisations and their volunteers through what has been a tough year.
“The bushfires had a devastating impact on many of our people and communities across the country and we are now living through a global pandemic,” Minister Ruston said.
“Volunteers freely give their time and skills to support others and will play a key role in communities over the next few months. This funding recognises the sacrifices they make to help deliver vital services to those who need it most.”
Nationally, volunteering has an estimated annual economic and social contribution of $290 billion.
The awarded grants are between $1,000 and $5,000. National Volunteer Week runs from 18-24 May. You can get involved in the online activities by visiting the Volunteering Australia website.
Volunteer Grant recipients – New England:
- Aba Northern Region $2,630
- Beyond Church Incorporated $2,400
- Drake Rural Fire Brigade $2,500
- Granite Borders Landcare Committee Incorporated $5,000
- Inverell Pioneer Village Inc $3,350
- Inverell Senior Citizens Welfare Association Inc $4,500
- Northern Inland Football Incorporated $4,960
- Oracles of the Bush $5,000
- Oxley Community Transport Service Inc $5,000
- Scone Neighbourhood Resource Centre Inc $5,000
- St Vincent De Paul Society NSW $1,260
- Tamworth Football Club Incorporated $4,000
- Tamworth Regional Landcare Association Inc $5,000
- Tenterfield Swimming Club Incorporated $4,920
- Tenterfield Total Care Inc $3,000
- Women’s Shelter Armidale Incorporated $3,120