Men’s Shed across the New England have been awarded grants under the Federal Liberal National Government’s round 18 of the National Shed Development Programme.
Member for New England, Barnaby Joyce, congratulated the men’s sheds at Glen Innes, Murrurundi, Quirindi, Uralla and Walcha on their successful grant applications.
“There is no doubting the invaluable role these men’s sheds have in our communities especially during this time of drought,” Mr Joyce said.
“They offer support to men who need a bit of space and some friendly, easy-going company to work on meaningful projects, while providing a forum for men to talk and take action on their health issues.
“Men are often the last ones to make their health and wellbeing a priority, especially in rural and regional areas like our own. That’s why it’s imperative we do what we can to ensure they get the assistance they need and deserve,” Mr Joyce added.
The Federal Government recognises these benefits and is investing a total of $5.1 million over three years to the national men’s sheds movement.
The Men’s Shed grants programme provides funding for health improvement activities, the purchase of tools and equipment, community projects and training, and for building maintenance and development.
Heath Minister Greg Hunt said feeling part of a social group is important to our emotional and mental health.
“Every day Men’s Sheds across Australia and in the New England provide men with an opportunity for companionship and support within their community,” Minister Hunt said.
- Glen Innes Men's Shed Inc - $1,470 - Health & Wellbeing & Events: 2x First Aid training, Food Handling course; Tools & Equipment: desktop computer.
- Murrurundi Men's Shed $ 3,500 - Health & Wellbeing & Events: Test and tag training and equipment.
- Quirindi Rural Heritage Village Men's Shed - $5,500 - Shed Improvements: Contribution toward construction of awning on the northern side of meeting room/kitchen, concrete path to connect with the work area, hot water system, soundproofing.
- Uralla Men's Shed Inc $3,500 - Tools & Equipment: Contribution toward Makita routers, cordless power tools, line trimmer, thicknesser, jigsaw, blades.
- Walcha Men's Shed $4,500 - Shed Improvements: Contribution toward disabled toilet upgrade, electrical system upgrade.